What is Eye-Bag Removal Surgery?
Eye-Bag Surgery, otherwise referred to as “Lower Lid Blepharoplasty”, is a surgical procedure designed to improve the appearance of the lower eyelids or eye-bags. Correctly performed, it can help to refresh the appearance and make the patient appear more youthful, with results lasting upwards of 10 years. While there are some excellent non-surgical options for mild cases, such as Plasma and Tixel, an Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty is the most effective way to treat moderate to severe eye bags.
What causes eye bags?
As we age, the bony foundation beneath our eyes alters, and the membrane under the eye thins: allowing the fat to bulge forward. This leads to the development of eye bags, which can cause a “tired” appearance – no matter how well we are sleeping, or how many topical products we use. Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai is a world renowned oculoplastic surgeon and is one of London’s leading eye sur
How does the procedure work?
Eye-Bag Surgery works to smooth the under-eye area by removing excess skin, bulging fat and lax muscle from the lower eyelids. To do so, we make a tiny cut, which is either hidden in the natural lower lid crease, or inside the lower lid, in the case of a “Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty”. The unwanted tissues are then removed or repositioned, before the cut is closed with fine stitches. The skin can also be treated by laser resurfacing or a chemical peel, to help tighten the skin of the lower lid. Eye-Bag Surgery is performed under general anaesthetic as a day case – so you can go home the same evening.
- ‘No scar’ – cut is hidden in the natural eyelid crease
- Long-lasting results – for up to 10 years
- Unrivalled expertise – performed by leading oculoplastic surgeon
Eyelid Lift Surgery – Before & After Gallery
Disclaimer: Your results may vary. Any specific claims or length of results vary for each patient and are not guaranteed.
Commonly Asked Questions about Eye-Bag Surgery
What are the different types of Eye-Bag Surgery or “Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty”?
We offer two types of Eye-Bag Surgery. The first is a scarless approach, where the incision is made from the inside of the eyelid, therefore leaving no visible cut. The tissues are then removed or repositioned, giving the under-eye area a smoother appearance. This is an ideal approach if you have tight, non-wrinkled skin beneath the eyes, which is often the case with younger patients (though older patients can be suitable too). The second approach, which is not scarless, is better suited to more mature, or wrinkled skin, and involves a small incision being made on the outside of the eyelid. This allows the removal or repositioning of the fat, while simultaneously improving the appearance of saggy or severely wrinkled skin.
What are the non-surgical alternatives to Eye-Bag Surgery or a Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty?
Eye-Bag Surgery (Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty) is the gold standard procedure for treating hypertrophic eye bags. Expertly done, a Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty will remove severe eye bags with results often lasting upwards to 10 years. Although there are many non-surgical options which offer less down time, they are temporary fixes and are therefore a better option for those with only mild to moderate protruding fat.
What is the recovery time from Eye-Bag Surgery or a Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty?
Following a scarless Lower-Lid Blepharoplasty, patients usually recover within 2 weeks and return to work quickly.
After the non-scarless option, patients tend to be bruised for 2 weeks, recovering fully after a 4-12 week period. Normally, the stitches are visible for the first week; then, once they have been removed, a faint scar is visible. The scar may seem a bit thickened and red for 6-12 weeks, becoming almost invisible after that period. A thickened or reddened scar can be improved with silicone scar remodelling gel in addition to our complimentary skincare kit, which is designed to aid your recovery.
What are the risks of Eye-Bag Surgery?
- Infection: This is very rare; however, occasionally the stitches may become infected or inflamed. This can be swiftly settled with oral and topical antibiotics.
- Scarring: Generally, scars are hidden in the skin fold, or the inner part of the lid. Stitches are normally visible for the first week, then, when they are removed, a faint scar is visible. While the scar may seem thickened and red for 6 to 12 weeks, it will gradually become almost invisible after that period. While not every scar heals equally well, silicone scar remodelling gel can improve the appearance of a thickened or reddened scar – however, the treatment needs to be continued for several months to have a good result.
- Large bruise or haematoma: This is minimised by regular use of ice packs, avoiding heavy exercise for 2 weeks after surgery, and stopping aspirin and other anticoagulants (if safe so to do) 2 weeks pre-operatively. If you do experience a haematoma, you may have to go back into theatre to have the blood clot removed, and have your stitches redone. This runs the risk of a worse scar.
- Theoretical risk to vision: Any eyelid surgery carries the risk that an undiagnosed infection or bleed could damage the optic nerve. This is so rare that, by comparison, a normal car journey poses a much greater risk to your vision.
- “Hollow” appearance: This is rare, but can occur – usually when too much fat has been removed.
- Temporary poor blink: Generally, blinking returns to normal within 12 weeks.
- Sagging of the lower lid: This can happen as a result of scarring between the layers of the lid, or inadvertent removal of excess skin, and can alter the shape of the lower lid – and even cause watery eyes. Occasionally, this may require corrective surgery with either a skin flap/graft or a midface lift.
How do eye-bags develop?
How The Peri-orbital Area Ages
About Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai MS, FRCS
Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai is a world-leading oculoplastic surgeon, with over 20 years of experience performing eye bag surgery. She specialises in delivering a natural-look and has a deep understanding of the ocular anatomy.
Dr Sabrina was Highly Commended in the prestigious Safety in Beauty Awards and has worked on their panel for judging and promoting safety in the aesthetic industry. Medical practitioners from all over the world come to London to learn her eye rejuvenation techniques, which she teaches in her academy OFAA.
Eye Bag Surgery Reviews
What beauty experts have to say
“For anyone that’s losing sleep about the state of their eyes, Sabrina Shah-Desai (a powerhouse ocular plastic surgeon) is the person to see to put things right. Her treatments are super refined, undetectable and all done with the lightest touch.”Brides Magazine
“I'm so glad that I chose Sabrina. My advice to anyone considering this treatment is to never take risks with your face. Surgery is something you should only want to do once. Its better to wait, rather than go for a cheap option, or take an un-researched risk. Sabrina is the best that there is. You are in incredibly safe and talented hands.”
“I am so pleased I went ahead and had this procedure done. I cannot recommend Mrs. Shah-Desai enough to anyone who is looking to have eyelid surgery. I know I have received the best service, care and advice there is.”
“Sabrina is extremely experienced in this field - a perfectionist and took extreme care with the overall result and how I felt at each stage of the recovery. If you want to make that all important change I would certainly recommend Sabrina and will be keeping in touch with her.”
“My eye lid surgery has given me the lift and look I needed to start living life again. Sabrina has the most amazing sense of humour and warmth not often seen in any human being. I can't recommend her enough and would choose her as a friend!”
“The procedure was quick, efficient and painless. I am delighted with the results. But I was just after a few days !! I would recommend Sabrina without hesitation and I am so pleased that I decided to go ahead with Surgery as I feel more confident with my new youthful look !”
“My skin is so much more smoother and I now have very clear and clean skin I get compliments on my skin which makes me feel more confident and beautiful. I'm thankful to Sabrina for giving me the right advice I've had an amazing experience with her and her team.”