Understanding healthy skin ageing
Your skin’s health results from a complex interplay between your genes (your blueprint) and what you are exposed to on a daily basis and is thus polygenic and multifactorial in nature.
This means that whilst your susceptibility to skin concerns has a strong genetic contribution, many other factors also play a significant role, including environmental exposure to toxins and stress, gut health, hormonal health and age, exercise behaviour, and dietary intake. Therefore, both genes and environment should be considered to better understand the mechanisms behind skin ageing.
The underlying biological mechanisms that have key functions in skin ageing include:
- Collagen breakdown & repair – influencing skin elasticity
- Antioxidant defence & detoxification influencing skin barrier function and formation offine wrinkles
- DNA repair mechanisms – protecting from ultraviolet (UV) ageing
- Melanin production – influencing (hyper)pigmentation and risk for freckles/solar mottling
- Moisture retention – influencing barrier function and sensitivities
- Sebum production – important in acne control, and Inflammation – playing a major role in being prone to acne and (dys)pigmentation.
Personalised medicine and skincare
In general, the health of your skin can be measured by considering its appearance through any visual signs of ageing – wrinkles and fine lines, hyper/dyspigmentation, and course skin texture. At perfect skin studio we use advanced AI systems like the Canfield Visia Camera to assess the external skin ageing that are not easily visible to the naked eye.
Your ethnicity, age, UV-exposure, nutrient intake, cosmeceutical use, exposure to environmental pollutants, stress levels, weight management and exercise routine all contribute toward the status of your skin’s health.
Within each of these factors, genetics has a major role to play in determining the interindividual variability that exists in the ageing process as well as your response to environmental input to improve skin health.
Our team at Perfect Skin Studio Dr Sabrina to recommend precise interventions aimed at helping you reach your goals and achieve optimal skin health.
The Perfect 360 Skin Package includes
- DNA skin (a pin prick test)
DNA Skin is a genetic test that offers insight into key areas that influence skin ageing, offering personalised topical, nutraceutical, diet, and lifestyle recommendations for improved outcomes.
DNA Skin reports on your unique genetics, knowledge of your unique genes and your genetic variations offers unparalleled insight into your biological systems, and how the gene variations that you carry could affect your skin and the way it ages.
- Skin Visia Analysis Visia accurately detects skin imperfections such as wrinkles, pores, hyperpigmentation, uneven texture, sun damage, bacteria, and oil plugs. The system also compares your skin to the skin of healthy people of similar age, gender, and ethnicity. This helps you understand the condition of your skin and aids you in making treatment choices.
- Remote 90 minute wellness consult with our Health & Longevity coach Sandie, who will assist in personalising and optimising your lifestyle and diet to enhance your skin health
- Remote or in person Consultation with one of the doctors in our team to discuss your unique genetic test results and offer advice and recommendations on oral supplements, a topical skincare regime and personalised treatment plans for optimising and preventing /revering skin ageing changes that you are genetically coded for.
- Choice of 3D MIRACL ultraclear laser facials ( course of 3 treatments, once a month) to improve texture of skin (fine lines and wrinkles and hyperpigmentation) VS a course of Endermologie facial detoxifying lymphatic drainage facials (course of 8 treatments twice/month) to improve facial puffiness and restore a glow.
A lifetime of optimal skin health awaits you
Your genes do not change, which means you will only need one genetic test.
However, throughout your life, as your health and lifestyle factors impact your skin health journey, the Perfect Skin Studio Dr Sabrina team can continue to provide valuable insights and treatments to optimise your unique skin health.
About Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai MS, FRCS
Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai is a distinguished oculoplastic surgeon and one of London’s leading eye specialists. She has over two decades of surgical experience and is renowned for her ability to create a natural look.
Dr Sabrina has a deep anatomical knowledge of the periorbital area and an appreciation for the differences in treating both men and women. When raising the brows and eyelids in a male Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty, it is important to preserve the T-shaped brow – in order not to feminise their appearance.
Prices are a guide; your doctor will calculate total costs during consultation